MDS Coordinator, RN
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Posted on: June 20, 2022
Part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver patient-centered
nursing and rehabilitation services to patients. Responsible and
accountable for planning, organizing, coordinating and evaluating
the practice of MDS completion and transmission.
1. Conducts and coordinates the development and completion of the
resident assessment in accordance with current rules, regulations,
2. Completes accurate coding of the MDS with information obtained
via medical record review as well as observation and interview with
facility staff, resident, and family members.
3. Ensures the accuracy of diagnoses on MDS.
4. Reviews and updates diagnoses.
5. Reviews specific policies and procedures in the nursing manual
that relate to the assessment process; and updates as necessary.
Evaluate and implement recommendations from established committees
as they may pertain to the assessment and/or care plan functions of
6. Is available and actively participates in all State, Federal and
Joint Commission surveys. Participates in survey inspections made
by authorized agencies.
7. Assists during any audit process as needed, reviews findings,
documentation and makes any modification/correction of assessments
if appropriate as recommended by the audit
8. Coordinates the preparation of all requests from appropriate
State and/or federal regulatory agencies or agents regarding
payment of services (reconsideration, denials appeals, etc.) if
9. Accountable for accuracy and timely completion of Medicare
certifications and re-certifications.
10. Provides written and/or oral reports of the resident
assessment/care plan functions as requested or directed by
committees or Director of Nursing (DON).
11. Reports all updated information to the clinical round team and
DON or designated supervisor.
12. Assesses and evaluates the outcomes of the MDS process to
determine additional training, education and monitoring needs.
13. Participates in the planning, conducting, and scheduling
in-services, orientation, and training sections.
14. Serves as the facility resource for MDS, CMI, RUGs, and
Medicare benefits and provides education to the interdisciplinary
team as appropriate.
15. Maintains a current and comprehensive knowledge of MDS and
16. Ensures that all care plans are reviewed and updated as
required by CMS regulations.
17. Monitors MDS and care plan documentation for all residents.
18. Ensures documentation is present in the medical record to
support MDS coding. Participates in communicating changes of
resident -s status to Interdisciplinary Team.
19. Ensures that each portion of the assessment is signed and dated
by the person completing that portion of the MDS.
20. Coordinates interdisciplinary participation in completing the
MDS according to OBRA and Medicare schedule.
21. Demonstrates effective communication skills.
22. Communicates issues and daily work status with DON or
Supervisor and provides updates if problems are not resolved in a
23. Participates in Performance Improvement meetings. Coaches,
counsels and evaluates performance of direct reports.
24. Maintains required records, reports, statistics, etc.
25. Shares information, ideas and personal skills with other team
members in the department and facility. Asks if other team members
need help or ask for help if you need assistance.
26. Maintains an effective, friendly working relationship with
health professionals, physicians, consultants, and governmental
agencies that may be involved in the resident assessment/care plan
functions of the facility.
27. Assists in the recruitment, development and supervision of team
28. Creates and sustains an environment that fosters team member
engagement. Establishes clear objectives tied to department and/or
organizational strategic goals.
29. Participates and represents Harborage and Nursing staff on
committees, as requested by supervisors.
30. Maintains professional competence and keeps current with
Nursing, MDS, and Occupational Health trends through participation
in continuing education, in-service programs, professional staff
sessions and training of nursing personnel.
31. Fosters good relationships and communications with all Team
Members, patients, family/significant others and visitors.
32. When MDS Supervisor is not available, provides back-up support
for authorized activities, including, but not limited to: meetings,
preparing and filing reports, and communications.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. Completion of an approved RN or LPN program
2. Current with all Continuing Education (CE) requirements
3. Perform clinical care professionally
4. Serve as patient advocate and role model to other Team
5. Delivers the highest level of service to all residents, families
6. Deliver patient care with minimal disruptions and obstacles
7. Ability to effectively work on a multidisciplinary team
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Computer skills, including Microsoft Office
2. Long-term care facility experience
3. Prior work experience with geriatric and disabled
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License or Licensed
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, Brick , MDS Coordinator, RN, Healthcare , Brick, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!