Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Posted on: November 19, 2020
Description:How have you impacted someones life today? At
Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on
changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level
of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and
occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home
care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you
to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your
career all within New Jerseys premier healthcare system.
Supports organization-wide infection surveillance, prevention and
control program in accordance with current requirements of
regulatory, government and accrediting/licensing agencies and
organizational policies and procedures. Duties include surveillance
for healthcare-associated infections (HAIs); collection, analysis,
interpretation and reporting of surveillance data; implementing
organizational performance improvement initiatives outbreak
investigation; educating Team Members (TMs) and patients, and
annual evaluation of the Infection Prevention
program.Responsibilties:A day in the life of an Infection
Preventionist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- In collaboration with the Infection Prevention leadership
develops, implements, and evaluates the organizational infection
- Conducts surveillance of hospital acquired infections in
accordance with CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
- Records and reports communicable diseases as defined by
federal, state, and local levels.
- In collaboration with the Infection Prevention leadership
develops annual surveillance plan and risk assessment(s) based on
- services provided, and analysis of surveillance data.
- Utilizes epidemiologic principles to conduct surveillance plan
as necessary, investigate and implement control measure for
- Participates in the development, interpretation, and
implementation of infection prevention policies and
- Communicates infection prevention information and data to
various committees, leadership, departments and healthcare workers
across the organization as assigned.
- Review sterilization and disinfection policies and procedures,
identifies necessary changes and monitors compliance.
- Assists in the development of Infection Prevention and Control
Construction Risk Assessments (ICRAs) for construction, renovation
and maintenance projects and monitors compliance with infection
prevention recommendations to reduce risk of communicable disease
exposures to patients and TMs.
- Rounds on units/departments to observe compliance with
infection prevention policies/procedures and provide just in time
coaching (e.g. Disinfection processes, hand hygiene and PPE).
- Participates on environment of care rounds as assigned.
- Participates in network or hospital-based committees providing
infection prevention and control expertise as assigned by Infection
- May be required to work or be on call weekends and/or second
shift based on department needs.
- Design and Deliver Education:
- Develops and conducts formal and informal educational programs
regarding infection prevention and control practices, policies, and
- Assess and address learning needs of those served.
- Create education goals, objectives, and strategies using
learning principles and available educational tools and
- Evaluate the effectiveness of educational programs and learner
- Regulatory Requirements:
- Complies with regulatory and mandatory reporting requirements
at the local, state and federal levels.
- Facilitates compliance with regulatory and accreditation
standards (e.g. NHSN, Joint Commission, etc.)
- Stay current on infection prevention regulatory and
- Performance Improvement (PI)/Patient Safety Utilize PI
methodology as a means of enacting change.
- Selects appropriate PI tools to aid in efficiency, reliability,
effectiveness and ensure sustainability of the initiative.
- Ensure that customer needs and expectations are considered in
the development of and continuous improvement of processes,
products, and services.
- Monitor and analyze process and outcome measures to evaluate
the effectiveness and sustainability.
- Perform Root Cause Analysis/Apparent Cause Analysis on
- Participate in PI committees, teams and initiatives as
- Apply High Reliability principles to guide strategies to drive
process improvement to improve outcomes.
- Occupational Health:
- Assesses risk of occupational exposures to infectious disease
and develops mitigation strategies to minimize exposure risk.
- Assists with rates/trends of occupational exposure if
- Collaborates with Occupational Health to identify and
investigate potential communicable disease exposures, and provides
guidance on evaluation, management of exposed TMs and any potential
- Collaborates with all departments within the organization as
- Consults and collaborates, as needed, with local, state, and
federal public health officials, and community health
- Involves multidisciplinary teams to ensure changes are vetted
by all stakeholder groups.
- Contributes in Network meetings/projects.
- Utilizes principles of influence, leadership, and change
- Brings enthusiasm, creativity and innovation to practice.
- Works collaboratively with others, providing direction when
- Readily shares knowledge and expertise.
- Contributes to the development of less-experience healthcare
providers through education and mentorship.
- Prepares and delivers infection prevention presentations to
- Research and Implementation Science:
- Evaluates (critically) research and evidence-based practices
and incorporate appropriate findings into routine practice.
- Integrates evidence-based practices into policies, guidelines,
protocols and educational strategies.
- Identifies barriers for implementation and develops strategies
to minimize or remove barriers.
- Implements strategies to sustain efforts such as audit tools
and meaningful feedback.
- IPC Informatics:
- Be familiar with infection prevention software and other
technology (e.g. EPIC, NHSN, CDRSS).
- Collaborates with IT and Data Science to create meaningful
electronic reports to enhance infection prevention initiatives.
- Professional Accountability:
- Pursues professional growth and development of required
knowledge and skills.
- Maintains certification and licensure requirements if
- Establishes at least 1 professional goal per year.
- Advocates for patient safety, high reliability practices, team
member safety, and safe practices.
- Participates in an infection prevention professional
organization/association (e.g. APIC).
Qualifications:Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- B.S. Degree in Nursing, Microbiology, Public Health, Medical
Technology, Health Care Administration or related field.
- 2 years of experience in clinical/patient care services or
relevant health care position.
- Familiar with software technologies (e.g. Excel, MS Word, NHSN,
- Problem solving.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to implement evidence-based guidelines.
- Conflict resolution.
- Program and project management.
- Expertise in data collection and analysis, report writing, and
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified in Infection Control.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack Meridian Health, Brick , Infection Preventionist, Other , Brick, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!