Community Health Worker
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Posted on: June 9, 2021
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack
Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our
patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day.
From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to
our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our
complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills
in multiple settings while building your career, all within New
Jersey's premier healthcare system.
Community-Health Workers (CHWs) provide social support,
navigation and advocacy to high-risk low-income patients within the
communities they serve in order to help them reach their health
goals. CHWs act as caring neighbors to help patients address the
social, medical and community problems that lead to poor health.
The goal is to help patients deal with the `real life' issues that
keep them from staying healthy, help with the tasks of getting
medical care, and work on health goals by doing things like
planning healthy meals or finding time to exercise.
A day in the life of Community Health Worker at Hackensack
Meridian Health includes:
- Meet patients in the primary care clinic or hospital and
conduct a needs assessment, including assisting patients to set
- Make weekly follow-up calls and home visits to patients.
- Motivating patients to meet their health goals.
- Provide resources to help patients with social issues like
homelessness, substance abuse and hunger.
- Assist patients with organizing their records, making follow-up
appointments, and filling their Prescriptions.
- Help patients fill out applications for benefits like insurance
and food stamps.
- Work with other CHWs and staff to create a directory of
- Document each patient encounter in detail.
- Run a weekly support group for patients.
- Prepare reports and documents as needed or requested.
- Attend regular team meetings.
- Attend a paid training program.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- High School school diploma OR equivalent
- Vast knowledge of social service resources available to
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to exercise judgment in the application of professional
- Comfortable with home visits and outreach.
- Comfortable with computer data entry.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- Must be proficient in MS Word and computer data entry.
- Prior experience as an outreach worker.
If you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, Brick , Community Health Worker, Other , Neptune, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!